This is the first in a three part blog series. I recently attended a live stream event hosted by David Bain from Digital Marketing Radio. During this event, he featured 120+ of the world’s leading digital marketing professionals. Each professional was asked one question “What is your #1 actionable digital marketing tip for 2019?”
There were common themes that multiple professionals weighed in on found throughout the series so here are tips and tricks grouped into 5 main categories.
Back to the Basics
• Understand your audience – walk a mile in their shoes. What are they interested in? What are they looking for? Where are they looking?
• Be personal – people want to work with and for other people. Personalize wherever possible.
• Focus on the customer – follow through with any promises made.
• Tell stories – people connect with stories. They bring back the human to human connection.
• Remove the overwhelm – don’t worry about the latest and greatest methods of marketing. Andrew & Pete from part 4 recommend following the 90/10 rule. Focus 90% of your energy on current, working methods, and 10% on new innovative ideas.
• Stick to what works well – don’t reinvent the wheel. Do what you did in 2018, only better.
• Stop counting words – focus on writing quality content and ignore word count.
• Be purposeful – don’t write content to just write content, Have a purpose and goal in mind.
• Be organized – make it easy for the consumer to find your content.
• Be loadable – make sure the content isn’t so large it won’t load.
• Be mobile-friendly – make sure key website features can easily be found on a mobile device and that content is indexed for mobile.
• Take stock of current content – what content do you have for each phase of the marketing funnel (attract, delight, close). What content is no longer relevant or useful for your customers?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
• Create authority – set up links to and from other sites. Create relationships with current authoritative sites or sites that interest you and guest write or create links to those sites.
• Focus on ranking what is important – you don’t need to rank for everything, just what’s most important to your business.
• Improve page loading speeds – analyze current speeds and optimize for search engines.
• Index current pages – remove any outdated or irrelevant content. Low quality content brings the rest down.
• Experiment with various platforms – what platforms work and which don’t. Focus on those that do.
• Be different – use moving images, experiment with varying image sizes and shapes, and use videos.
• Be personable – connect authentically with customer and leads.
• Train machines – machines bid better than people ever will. Take the time to train ad machines to work hard for you so you don’t have to work so hard.
• Respect the inbox – don’t over send content or send useless content; customers are inundated with enough content as it is.
• Focus on a healthy email list – quality over quantity. Be respectful with customers data and only send them emails they requested.
• Personalize – personalize where possible.
For more information, or to watch the complete series, visit DigitalMarketingin2019.com.
Let us know in the comments what your number 1 actionable tip for 2019 is.